Youch!

Shoulder_biceps_tendonitis_causes03Tomorrow I am undergoing surgery on a torn labrum in my shoulder.  This is the first time I’m having any kind of “big” surgery, i.e., requiring general anesthesia.  In the grand scheme of surgical procedures, it’s still pretty minor.

After that, I’ll be carrying my arm in a sling for a while, and participating in 4–6 months of physical therapy.  I’m not looking forward to any of it.  Then again, I’m sick of wincing with pain all the time.

The requisite Google Image Search on “torn labrum” accompanies this post.  Looks weird, eh?

Anyway, I’ll be doped up on Percoset for a few days – and while I’m sure that the drug-addled blog posts might make for a nice change of pace, I’ll take a pass on blogging for a week or so.

Keep on socializin’.

Posted on: July 8, 2008 at 5:32 pm By Todd Defren
11 Responses to “Youch!”

Comments
  • Shel Holtz says:

It never ceases to amaze me what medical advances make possible. Over the last couple years, I’ve had half a dozen friends and acquaintances diagnosed with what would have been life-ending diseases, all of whom are doing just fine. No doubt after your surgery and physical therapy, you’ll be better than before — faster, stronger…

I’ll be thinking of you as you go under the knife.

• Todd, best wishes with the surgery. Might as well get it over with, so you can be on the road to recovery. I’m sending good thoughts your way!

• Ryan Fisher says:

Todd,

Hope the surgery goes well. If you should be in need of any anti-biotics post-surgery (hopefully not), make sure you don’t get a flouroquinolone – a potent class of antibiotic. The FDA just issued a warning about their causing tendon problems. You don’t want to reverse course. Just a heads up.

• Rax Lakhani says:

Hey Todd – my thoughts are with you. Hope all goes well with the op.

Interestingly, Torn Labrum is an anagram of:

Blunt Armor (could come in handy for knocking people out of the way whilst you have your arm in a sling)
    Brutal Morn (which I hope you don’t have)
    Mortal Burn (which I certainly don’t wish upon you)
    Arm Bolt Run (useful if you want to go jogging with your arm in a sling)

Good luck!

• Jack says:

Todd,
    I had the same surgery 3 years ago. No sweat. The surgery is the easy part. The hard part is the recovery and the rehab. I found that Vicoden did the job for me. I had back spasms from having to sleep upright in bed so my doc gave me muscle relaxers to combat the back spasms. My rehab was about 3 months. Lots of hard work but now my left shoulder that I repaired is stronger and tighter than my right normal shoulder! Feels real good. It gets sore every once in a while but the surgery was the best thing as far as playing sports (snowboard) again and not living with that pain!

-Jack

• Julie Wright says:

Sorry to hear that you’re going under the knife and that PR Squared will be on bedrest too! (Not sure which upsets me most.) Can’t keep a good man down for long, so here’s hoping a qwerty — oops, I mean quick — recovery and return to your keypad soon.

• Doug Haslam says:

Boy am I feeling bad about that hearty slap on the back after a recent staff meeting…

Good luck with the surgery and recover quickly!

• Hi Todd,
    Hope all goes well and looking forward to you being back and healthy.
    Best,
    Richard

• Oh no! Best of luck with the surgery! Hope you have a speedy recovery!

• Isn’t that the issue Schilling had?

• Todd,

I’m sending best thoughts for an effective surgery, a good recovery, and as little discomfort as possible. We’ll miss your regular blog posts—-maybe you could dictate them to a SHIFTer or something. I’ve heard that soothing music helps in surgery and healing, even when you’re unconscious. You might ask the doc about that. Be well soon!