Welcome to the Agency World

I wish this was a joke. It’s not. This is what it’s like in the world of marketing agencies right now.

Posted on: May 27, 2009 at 12:37 pm By Todd Defren
191 Responses to “Welcome to the Agency World”

Comments
  • abs guide says:

This is why we always start with budget before offering suggestions. Hang in there, I think the economy has finally bottomed out and it can only get better, right????

• Julie Wright says:

OK… so I’m a Jenny-come-lately to this video. I’ve been meaning to check it out when I had a sec and it was well worth it. Thank you for the catharsis!

• Dan Peschio says:

Too true! And sad… Who produced it?

• Petra Sammer says:

What the agency world talks about now

• Dave Brown says:

Poignant, but there is an equally poignant other side to the story. I could write a script that would go something like:

“Oh, you wanted copy with that? That’ll be $1000 a word.”

“Images? We didn’t know you would want images. We can source those for you for only $25,000 including our 100% markup.”

“You have to cut your media budget? Oh no, you can’t do that; you’ll go completely out of business. We’re sure your employees wouldn’t mind waiting another month for their paychecks.”

dbleica

• If this wasn’t true right now I would laugh.
    I am not in Advertising or marketing but any form of business is prey to this event.
    Well done.

• Alan says:

Absolutely fantastic! True in all kinds of consulting. It’s nice to know that the pain felt here isn’t isolated!

• Ouch!! That feels so familiar. However, pleased to see it happens across the globe. It looks so ridiculous in a different context. I enjoy relating these situations to everyday contexts to our clients – it does seem to add some sanity and bring them back to planet earth.

• The sad truth of unrelenting, unruly, disrespectful daily client demands. It is up to us to command respect and prove value.

• TravisV says:

Also sad that a lot of this type of behavior isn’t even specific to bad economies. Btw: in the vendor / client relationship video, maybe they’d order and pay for the filet, but the waiter would bring them back tacos and then try to convince them that tacos were better than filets?

• Lynette says:

That is brilliant. SAD, but brilliant. Maybe I should show that at the end of every deck I show clients, when they start getting out the red pen to perform their own markdown sale!

• I don’t know whether to laugh or cry.

• Sad/funny but true…

• Kate Robins says:

It’s everywhere. Even DOL in CT says they’ll take down information and pay unemployment rectroactively. Anyone know how to cook roadkill?

• *sigh* Ain’t it the truth?

(But the video still made me chuckle.)

• Ben says:

To compare commodity low costs services, to overpriced marketing services is a pretty sizable stretch. But, funny none the less. – BC

• Bonnie says:

Wouldn’t you love to show this to your offending clients?

• Ouch! It isn’t fun being on the client side either in those circumstances of trying to do it all for less. Well done video.

Social Media Comments