Oh, The Targeting We'll See

SHIFT should hire meSeveral people at SHIFT were eager to show me this advertisement that kept showing up in the sidebar of their Facebook pages.

It was the brainchild of Doug Winfield, who until recently was a VP of Digital Strategies at Waggener Edstrom.

I don’t know how many other agencies Doug had used this approach with, but I was intrigued enough to reach out.  What had me most excited, thinking more broadly (i.e., beyond this one job applicant), was that Doug had created some Word of Mouth for himself, even within the small confines of our offices.  No less than 5 people showed me this advertisement.  That’s got to give a fellow an edge.

We’re not hiring at Doug’s level just now, but I hope to keep a dialogue going with him for down the road.  (If you want to beat me to the punch, you can reach out to him yourself.)

Anyway, I could not help but be intrigued by the niche-level of targeting powered by Facebook Ads.  While the service has been off to (more than one) rocky start, a well-orchestrated, non-spammy, highly targeted campaign is coming increasingly into the realm of possibility.

I predict big things and interesting times.

Posted on: June 16, 2009 at 6:32 pm By Todd Defren
85 Responses to “Oh, The Targeting We'll See”

Comments
  • I have heard of using this in some career websites. I think it is an innovative approach. I would love to have a career with the Red Wings but I haven’t used this just yet. I am trying traditional methods first.

In this job market you have to be different. You also have to be found. So this is a great way of doing both!

• Chris Norton says:

I think this is a clever way to get a job in digital PR and social media. A former colleague of mine wrote ten reasons why he should work with us and created a FB group for it. The reason that really stood out to me was that he actually considered hiring a babershop quartet to sing the reasons to me. On that basis – we gave him a job. Creativity means a lot.

• Rick Burnes says:

HubSpotters have been seeing similar ads from Doug!

• casacaudill says:

His wasn’t the only one like that I saw. Unfortunately there were two or three others and now I feel like it’s not necessarily clever and targeted, but rather, a “find all, replace” where it’s SHIFT or whatever place of employment is being shown. Doug was on the right track in generating interest – the copycats have ruined the whole thing (in my mind).

• Hi Casacaudill,

I’m sure I wasn’t the first to use this approach, and I spoke with folks at Facebook recently and they see these types of things frequently.

I hope that this doesn’t lead to more info clutter and SPAM, but as the copy cats join in, it will be a great way to judge their sincerity, skills and if they have a clue. I hope the bad guys will SPAM their way out of the industry.

• casacaudill says:

Yeah, I hope so too. In the meantime, they’ve ruined the idea you implemented and that’s unfortunate and very annoying (especially since FB wouldn’t remove them even though I kept giving thumbs down over and over again – not your fault, I know).

• Wow! I’m nearly speechless. That was great, unexpected and totally wonderful. Even if I don’t end up being part of the SHIFT team, you have a loyal disciple forever.

Tell me the truth you just wrote it to make me stop the SHIFT campaign. ;-)

Regardless, I truly appreciate that you did it. Best of luck to you and continued success for SHIFT Communications

Thanks so very, very much,

Doug

PS
    For anyone interested here’s the page the campaign drives to.

• Travis says:

Okay. When I first saw this ad part of me felt like it was a *slight* invasion of privacy. I’m still not sure how I feel about it and am glad to see this post.

As capitalism’s biggest fan, I love me some targeted ads. However, when I’m home in the evening catching up on Facebook it’s a bit of a shock to see a candidate pitching my employer within a private network. It could even be argued that this touches on the trend of blending work/life in social media. Say I’m checking out photos of my cousin’s wedding – is it appropriate for Mr. Winfield to be chilling right next to the wedding party?

I prefer the movie posters in urinal stalls any day, no doubt.

• Maureen Jann says:

Don’t you have to offer up your employer’s name in your settings in order for that advertisement to apply to you? In this case, aren’t you inviting advertisements based on that information? How is that any different than joining the group that loves bacon and having them serve you bacon themed advertisements?

• Travis says:

Maureen – I don’t consider joining a Facebook network an invitation for advertisements, at least that wasn’t the case when I joined in 06 or so.

• Travis says:

As capitalism’s biggest fan, I love me some targeted ads. However, when I’m home in the evening catching up on Facebook it’s a bit of a shock to see a candidate pitching my employer within a private network. It could even be argued that this touches on the trend of blending work/life in social media. Say I’m checking out photo’s of my cousin’s wedding – is it appropriate for Mr. Winfield to be chilling right next to the wedding party?

I prefer the movie posters in urinal stalls any day, no doubt.

• Hi Travis,

I promise not to be a wedding crasher, and I don’t have any more access to your network of friends than the guys offering to fix your credit report or sell you Canadian pharmaceutical. One way it has been helpful is in seeing how active and engaged folks at various companies are. If the culture of a place is that the employees don’t take a chance to engage with a potential colleague, I’m not sure that I want (or should) work there.

These are the time we need to innovate, take risks and stand out from the crowd. I hope this smartly shows my willingness to do so. More importantly, I hope it shows the imagination and willingness to innovate and inspire at my next gig. Wherever that may be.

• Travis says:

Hi Doug -

I get your point and again give you props for your innovation. Taking that into consideration, there is a stark difference between your ad and the usual. You’re right that you have the same access as anyone else, but my point was that there’s no humanity in the Canadian pharmaceutical ads – which is why we’re talking about yours and not theirs. Regardless, kudos on your creative effort and best of luck.

• Dave Fleet says:

Very clever. It’s often the people who do something a little surprising, who go above and beyond or who push the envelope, who get the attention that can lead to that career move.

Does it guarantee success? No – you proved that (for now, anyway). Still, it impressed. Kudos to Doug.