Why Facebook Marketing is More Important than Twitter Marketing

Rba1_03Google, Facebook and Twitter are the overall winners of the Web 2.0 wars and (barring acquisition) will be the players we still talk about several years from now.  We will never speak of Twitter or Facebook in the same breath as MySpace or Friendster: both have done a far better job of extending their presence beyond their respective destination sites; they are embedding themselves in the daily surfing habits of users.

Who will the long-term winner in Social Media be?  I think that case has been effectively decided.  It struck me as a put-a-fork-in-it done-deal when I read this TechCrunch article about the ShareThis/Starcom/Rubinson research, in which it was found that:

When it comes to sharing on the Web, Facebook rules. Facebook accounts for 38 percent of all sharing referral traffic. Email and Twitter tied for second with 17 percent each. Those are the percentages that actually clicked through. The raw sharing numbers are higher. Facebook makes up 56 percent of all shared content (up from 45 percent in August, 2010), followed by email at 15 percent (down from 34 percent) and Twitter at 8 percent (down from 12 percent).

Forget about the click-through’s — that’s a function of the stuff you decide to share, and who you share it with: that’s a measure of users’ curation skills.

No, what wows me is the “raw sharing numbers.” Sharing content is the connective tissue of Social Media … and Facebook owns 56 percent of that traffic?!  And that figure is up 25% in less than a year?!

Put a fork in it, folks.  Facebook wins.

What does this mean for marcomm pros?  Time to get smarter and smarter on Facebook Marketing.  Don’t ignore Twitter (I still have high hopes for the Li’l Blue Birdy!) but consider re-orienting the majority of your efforts towards optimizing for Facebook.  It’s only going to become more important.

Posted on: June 7, 2011 at 3:08 pm By Todd Defren
17 Responses to “Why Facebook Marketing is More Important than Twitter Marketing”

Comments
  • Forrest Graves says:

People often ask, “How has JumpinGoat achieved such a strong following using social media and internet marketing?” and “How can we achieve the same thing?” Well, I thought it best to go straight to the source to find out. According to Forrest Graves, CEO of JumpinGoat Coffee Roasters, it starts with a social media marketing strategy which takes to heart their customers, their organic coffee and their brand. Graves works hard to develop these elements into a symbiotic online and offline relationship which cohesively integrates into this dual marketing approach.

As part of their routine quarterly marketing strategy sessions, JumpinGoat leverages best of breed marketing analytics to track and measure Marketing ROI. “We are looking at our marketing dashboard on a regular basis and making continual adjustments,” says Graves. Graves goes on to add, “Our quarterly marketing dashboard tells us how well our strategy is lining up with quantitative goals and we find that this keeps us in close touch with our user community; that’s important to me.”

Through the use of tools like Google Analytics, Constant Contact, Voice for Small Business PR endeavors through http://www.v4sb.com and most recently, http://www.GoGoCMO.com , JumpinGoat demonstrates their effectiveness at managing and executing successful marketing campaigns. According to Graves, the new iPhone app for marketing professionals, http://www.GoGoCMO.com , proves to be a unique and useful tool which “…keeps us on top of the marketing metric and dashboard discussions we have with our advertising and branding agency.” This newly discovered relationship already demonstrates a mutual fondness, as Graves goes on to say, “I believe GoGoCMO and Constant Contact have added great value to our marketing process. And hey, they love our Costa Rican coffee too!”

A holistic approach to integration of multiple media components, to include social media sites like http://www.Facebook.com and http://www.Twitter.com/jumpingoat , as well as other social media platforms and traditional internet SEO, appears to be the key to JumpinGoat’s successful online marketing approach. As the well-known authority on social media, Graves sums it up perfectly with the statement, “We believe blending multiple elements into a harmonious media plan can create thousands of fans for our socially conscious coffee brand and best of all, it helps keep our customers involved in what JumpinGoat is up to.”

So how has JumpinGoat achieved such a strong following? By making sure to include the customer. Period. JumpinGoat is displaying to their clients that they do care about their opinions and want to know what they think. Integrating online marketing tools to achieve that purpose is just one step in the right direction. It’s often joked that “everyone is a Chief Marketing Officer at JumpinGoat!”

Contributed by

Oliver Thomas

Business Writer

• joan says:

making future predictions like this always amuses me…they are not worth the time it takes to make them. especially when the basis of the prediction are “point in time” variables which are certain to evolve/change and create entirely new scenarios.

Gotta have an opinion about something, sometime, eh? This reminds me of a story my mother told me as a boy:

There once was a man whose neighbors all bought the first black&white tv’s when they came out. He demurred, saying, “before you know it, there will be color tv’s!” And of course he was right. But when the color tv’s came along, he again held off, saying, “before you know it, there will be a way to change the station without getting up off the couch.” And of course he was right, the remote-controlled tv’s came right along. And eventually the flat screens. And eventually even 3D flat screens with 500 channels and Internet connectivity, etc. But the man always figured “variables are certain to evolve/change and create entirely new scenarios,” and so he eventually died – having never committing himself to buying a darned tv.

So, yea, I make predictions with no clue of their ultimate truth. That’s why they are called predictions. :)

• Stepehen Jack says:

Exactly Todd! and I think Facebook is also challenging Google by creating the social search engine. I think facebook advertisement is going to be the top advertisement for the companies as facebook can reach their products to more people than adwords with the more chances of CTR. I think that’s why Google is also trying to rely more on user experiences through +1 button and all that but in my opinion facebook will win its competition with Google also.

• Al Pittampalli says:

I agree with you, Todd. The greatest evidence of this is Groupon, the fastest growing company of all time, continues to get an overhwhelming majority of their traffic from Facebook. It’s just too big, not to be the most important social media platform.

• Ari Herzog says:

Curious looking at your tweetstream to the right of this page and how none of them involve customer service. What if you only replied to people, Todd?

I’m not a “brand.” ;)

FWIW my own tweetstream varies depending on what’s up at work. When I’m super busy I rarely engage in convos, just RT cool stuff I see in my stream.

• Jennifer says:

Yes, Facebook accounts for the highest sharing percentage, and yes, marcomm pros should utilize the social media giant for this reason. But I’m hesitant to say that Facebook is more important than Twitter (or vice versa) because the two serve such different marketing functions. The ability to find and enter specific conversations on Twitter is simply unmatched on Facebook, and this direct contact with consumers (be it for customer service, brand awareness, or something else) is of great importance to many of the clients I work with. It really depends on your objectives though. Like Amanda said, no single platform is for everyone.

• Dwight says:

And the bad news is…raw traffic translates to unqualified traffic and worse, exessive noise. I think if marketers focus on creating winning strategies the social tactics will fall into place…my 2 cents

• Dano Hart says:

Ahh, but the best thing to use twitter for business right now is for customer service.

Time and time again, a company reaches out to a previous customer, and as a result in helping that customer, they are basically a customer for life because the company was listening. Yes, you can do that on facebook, but it seems people are quick to shout what problems they are having on twitter more often.

• Interesting stats. I wonder what percentage of that sharing traffic is from iPhone devices and whether or not the iOS 5 twitter integration might give Twitter a bit of a leg up in the sharing and referral stakes?

The point remains, Facebook rules!

David

• Amanda says:

But how much of this “shared content” is from or related to brands, companies or products/services? And within that, how much of the sharing is for b2b and/or regulated businesses? I mean, are people sharing pictures of cats and Lady Gaga videos, or are they sharing the latest content from the high-tech vendor they’re working with this quarter at their day job? I think with Facebook marketing, it really depends on who your audience is and what you have to share. Facebook isn’t always the answer for everyone.

Hi Amanda – my wife was making the same points to me this evening!
      It’s true that plenty of non-essential cat videos are being shared via FB. What I’m astounded by, in any case, are the vast swaths of people who are choosing the FB platform as THE place where they share any/all content with their social graph. That behavior has consequences, and marketers must take note.